US Open: Players will be able to access mental health resources, including 'quiet rooms' during Grand Slam
Players at the US Open will have access to resources aimed at supporting their mental health, the United States Tennis Association (USTA) has announced.
Competitors at Flushing Meadows will have access to the tournament's "comprehensive medical services program", which will include access to mental health providers and "quiet rooms" on site.
It comes in response to world No 2 Naomi Osaka, who withdrew from the French Open in May, following a dispute with tournament organisers over mandatory media appearances, which she said placed undue pressure on players.
She later disclosed she had suffered from bouts of depression for years.
French Open tournament organisers conceded later that they could do better addressing mental health of the athletes.
"The issue of mental health awareness has been brought to the forefront over the course of the global pandemic, as many individuals, players included, have struggled with the stresses and emotions that have come as a result of COVID-19," said US Open tournament director Stacey Allaster.
Brian Hainline, first vice president of the USTA and a professor of neurology at Indiana University and New York University, said he hoped the program would increase accessibility to mental health support.
"Our goal is to make mental health services as readily available to athletes as services for a sprained ankle - and with no stigma attached," said Hainline. "We will provide an environment that fosters wellness."
Sachia Vickery, a former USTA junior national champion, is the latest player to open up about her mental health.
The world No 206, who is currently taking part in the qualifying tournament for the US Open, took to social media to explain her anxiety and panic attacks.
"I've suffered from severe anxiety and panic attacks since February 2020, that has left me hospitalized multiple times which is why I have not played much this year," she said on Twitter.
Phlegmatic captain Kraigg Brathwaite has urged calm from his players ahead of Friday’s start of the second Test, as West Indies take aim at their first Test series win over Pakistan in 21 years.
A nail-biting one-wicket win late on last Sunday’s fourth day handed the home side the series lead and after over two decades of drought against the Asian side, West Indies now find themselves within touching distance of a series success.
Aware, however, that West Indies were also not at their best in the opener, Brathwaite said his side needed to be switched on in all areas in the coming days, if they were to get the better of Pakistan.
“I think the key is to stay calm and be disciplined,” Brathwaite told an online media conference in Kingston on Thursday.
“As a bowling group we were fantastic. We just have to come back and do that again. As a batting group, partnerships are key and I think once we focus on the small targets, then the result should take care of itself.
“But I think we just need to stay calm – that’s the main word – and stay disciplined from both the bowling group and the batsmen [perspective]. I think patience is key on a pitch like the first Test.
“I think once we do those small things right, the result will take care of itself.”
Of concern for Brathwaite will be the batting group which yet again failed to live up to expectations during the first Test at Sabina Park last week.
He, along with former captain Jason Holder and Jermaine Blackwood, were the only batsmen to register half-centuries, as other key players failed again.
In the first innings, West Indies gathered 253 to lead Pakistan by 36 runs but when set 168 for victory, suffered another batting implosion to tumble to 151 for nine.
Tail-ender Kemar Roach, who punched at number nine, hit a courageous unbeaten 30 to rescue the run chase.
Brathwaite said discussions had since taken place and the batting group were well apprised of the challenges and expectations, especially with Pakistan boasting a highly talented seam attack.
“I thought Pakistan as a bowling group, they bowled well,” Brathwaite pointed out.
“And as batters, some guys didn’t get the scores, they didn’t get the partnerships on a few occasions but the guys are looking forward to the challenge. It won’t be easy but I think the guys are fully capable of putting good runs on the board.
“We saw how Pakistan bowled, how the pitch played … and they were constantly on a line and length as as batters I believe who has the most patience will come out on top.
“As a batting group, we’ve had a few chats about [being patient]. Patience is the key for Test cricket regardless, it’s always the key. So I think once we have that grind and the will to be patient and let them come to us as batters, we will do fine.”
Despite their success earlier in the year, the places of Kyle Mayers and Nkrumah Bonner are likely to be under the microscope.
Mayers endured the horror of a ‘pair’ in the first Test and now has only 59 runs from his last six Test innings while Bonner’s last four Test innings has yielded 15 runs.
While not giving clues about the team composition, Brathwaite backed his side to perform, regardless of the make-up.
“Whatever side we put on the field, I am confident we can do the job,” he stressed.
“The guys are all confident. Some of the batsmen did not get the scores they would like, but they are ready and raring to go.”
SQUAD – Kraigg Brathwaite (captain), Jermaine Blackwood (vice-captain), Nkrumah Bonner, Shamarh Brooks, Rahkeem Cornwall, Roston Chase, Joshua Da Silva, Jahmar Hamilton, Chemar Holder, Jason Holder, Shai Hope, Alzarri Joseph, Kyle Mayers, Kieran Powell, Kemar Roach, Jayden Seales, Jomel Warrican
The police report on the California crash involving Tiger Woods earlier this year includes a number of new details, including that deputies found an empty pill bottle in his vehicle and the pro golf star thought for a few moments that he was in Florida.
The Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department report also details the primary cause of the Feb. 23 crash as excessive speed, something investigators announced on Wednesday.
According to the police report, Woods was disoriented immediately after his sport-utility vehicle ran off the road in Rolling Hills Estates, south of downtown Los Angeles, and rolled over. Initially, he thought he was in Florida.
The report notes that the disorientation was likely due to shock, rather than being under the influence of any substance. Deputies have said there were no signs of alcohol, slurred speech or anything else to suggest impairment.
The empty pill bottle was found in a backpack inside the SUV, the report says. It was not labeled.
"The container had no label and there was no indication as to what, if anything, had been inside," Deputy Justin Smith wrote in the report, according to the Los Angeles Times. "There was no open intoxicants or paraphernalia inside the vehicle."
The report also notes that Woods' blood pressure was "too low to administer any type of pain medication" at the scene after the crash.
Woods failed to negotiate a right curve on the road, which caused him to hit a curb and veer into the oncoming lanes before the SUV hit a tree and flipped over. Woods received severe injuries to his right leg and ankle.
Authorities have said Woods won't face charges related to the crash.
The department said on Wednesday that Woods' SUV was traveling 80-plus mph in the seconds before the crash, and there was no evidence of braking during that time. The speed limit on the road Woods was driving was 45 mph.
The conclusions were based on the official investigation and the data recorder from Woods' vehicle.
Woods pleaded guilty to reckless driving charges in 2017 and was cited for careless driving in 2009, in connection to hitting a tree and a fire hydrant with his vehicle outside his Florida home.
Speed caused the rollover car crash that left Tiger Woods seriously injured, Los Angeles County authorities said Wednesday.
The accident was also due to Woods' "inability to negotiate the curve of the roadway," Los Angeles County Sheriff Alex Villanueva said at a news conference.
Woods was driving at an estimated 84 to 87 mph during the Feb. 23 accident in Southern California, Villanueva said.
It's believed that Woods inadvertently hit the accelerator instead of the brake, Capt. James Powers said.
The car was moving at 75 mph when Woods struck a tree, the sheriff said.
Woods was speeding but the decision was made not to issue a citation, the sheriff said. No one witnessed the crash and Woods did not receive any special treatment from police, Villanueva said.
The golfing great showed no signs of impairment, Villanueva added.
Villanueva said last month that the cause of the crash had been determined and the investigation had concluded.
Woods’ team gave permission for the details to be released, Villanueva said Wednesday, adding that under California law, these reports are confidential unless the release is approved by those involved.
Woods was alone, driving a 2021 Genesis GV80 SUV, when he crashed on the border of Rolling Hills estates and Rancho Palos Verdes.
The vehicle hit the center median, crossed into the opposite lane and then hit the curb and a tree, the sheriff said in February. The GV80 rolled over several times and was found several hundred feet away from the center divider with a deployed airbag.
In February the sheriff said no charges were anticipated against Woods, calling the crash "purely an accident."
Woods, who was wearing a seat belt, was taken to a hospital where he underwent a long surgical procedure on his lower right leg and ankle, officials said. Days later he was moved to another hospital for follow-up procedures.
Woods said in a March 16 statement that he was back home in Florida and continuing his recovery.
Fellow golfer Rory McIlroy said at Tuesday's Masters news conference that he's visited Woods and described him as in "decent spirits."
"He’s fully focused on the recovery process," McIlroy said. "And I feel like he’s mentally strong enough to get through that. And once he does, broken bones heal, and he’s just got to take it step by step."
YouTube Video: KTLA 5
(Reuters) - The U.S. Women’s Open will be held without fans this year because of the coronavirus pandemic, the United States Golf Association (USGA) said on Wednesday.
The tournament, which is in its 75th year and is the oldest of the five women’s golf majors, was previously rescheduled from June to Dec. 10-13 due to the COVID-19 pandemic, and will be held at Champions Golf Club in Houston, Texas.
“Following extensive consultation with health officials, we have decided that hosting the U.S. Women’s Open without spectators will provide the best opportunity to conduct the championship safely for all involved,” said USGA Senior Managing Director John Bodenhamer.
The PGA Tour said it will allow a limited number of fans to attend next month’s Houston Open, a move which concerned Phil Mickelson as the five-time major winner said he was questioning whether to compete in the event.
Reporting by Amy Tennery, editing by Pritha Sarkar
Wayne Rooney says he is "angry and disappointed" that he will miss matches for Championship side Derby due to a period of self-isolation despite testing negative for coronavirus.
The former Manchester United and England captain, now player-coach at Derby, was visited by a friend who had been instructed to be tested for Covid-19 and was later found to have the disease.
In a statement on Twitter, Rooney said: "Just received the news that my Covid-19 test has shown I do not have the virus.
"Delighted for myself and family but obviously angry and disappointed that I now have to self-isolate and miss vital games for @dcfcofficial."
The Sun newspaper reported on Sunday that the 34-year-old was angry after his friend visited him at his home on Thursday to give him a watch even though he should have been self-isolating. The friend later returned a positive test.
Rooney was unaware of any Covid-related concerns and played in Derby's 1-0 home loss to Watford a day after the visit, on Friday.